April 08, 2007

Sunday Bunny Sunday


The satisfying sight of Sam's earless bunny tucked back into its box just before 7 a.m. this morning brought back a flood of Easter memories that made me smile. Like the time Janey and I (it was just the two of us then) woke up in the dead of night and found everything in a whisper-quiet hunt while Mom & Dad slept. We'd divvied and stored the loot in our rooms before the pre-dawn dawning that we'd robbed our parents of the spectator fun. So we stole around the house and put everything back, feigning a take-two surprise an hour or so later. Look! A Laura Secord egg right on top of my electric Snoopy-Brusha-Brusha-Toothbrush! Growing up, I used to wonder how a 7 and 3 year old pulled off the ruse. Now I know. Mom & Dad were some tired...

Tired as we were ourselves this morning, it was great fun to watch Sam scope out the living room, first with that Looney Toon inspired wide-eyed tiptoeing, and then with a quick bunny scamper whenever he spotted a bright plastic egg (in near plain sight). He'd gathered perhaps 6 or 7 of them before he even realized that there were goodies inside, the sweetie. Truly the game is the thing. The discovery of a chocolate bunny, an egg and a rabbit sucker were icing on the cake, if I can twist my sugary metaphors. I explained the "ears only" before breakfast Easter rule and promised generous doling out through Easter Day. Sam was gobsmacked: "It's Easter FOR THE WHOLE DAY?!" He's a happy, hippity-hoppity boy.
And, true to form, he spent part of the morning reinventing the myth so that the bounty was delivered by Darth Vader, who travels the world on a motorcycle, bringing treats to girls and boys. That's my bunny.

No comments: