May 07, 2007

Gather Ye Rosebuds


While I puttered among the shady greenery of my flower gardens on Sunday afternoon, Sam played “Beach,” a game that consisted of periodically moving his new Power Rangers towel around the lawn and then curling up on it like a contented cat to bask in the sunshine. I snapped a quick pic from the deck, catching my beautiful potted plant in the frame. My heart smiles at both elements of the picture: at Sam’s cuddly adoration of that beach towel, and at the sight of our backyard filling with colourful life as spring warms to summer. And I silently thank my sisters again for these thoughtful gifts to mark Sam’s 4th and my 40th birthday celebrations. They’re perfect.

I’d been busy all day, moving among the pleasant tasks and appointments of garden shopping, brunch with friends, walking the dog and the like. Sam had cheerily accompanied me through it all. But after viewing this snapshot in the digital camera preview screen late in the afternoon, I put aside the last of my yard work plans and crawled up alongside my son to enjoy some rest on the beach. Sam was thrilled to point out the imaginary lapping waves and circling gulls for me, and I pointed out for him the burgeoning tulips and spreading ground cover. Together, we gained a heightened appreciation of the magic of our own backyard. Did I stop to smell the roses? Damned straight. Forty year olds have these things figured out. (thanks, Sisty Uglers, and thank you, too, Sam I Am) ...

No comments: