September 27, 2010

Grandpa Ashe

Last week, Sam received a card from Grandpa Ashe that read “Just thinking of you and hopin’ you’re coming soon!” The handwritten note inside read,

Dear Sam,

Just a note to tell you I think of you often and wonder how you are doing in school and how much you’ve grown. A small gift [$10] for you and a little about my life. I’ve lived a long time. 84 years.

Love you very much, Sam.
Grandpa Ashe

***
This is a transcript of the letter tucked inside.


Frank William Ashe
Born March 29, 1926

I was born in Edmonton, Alberta and lived on the very northern outskirts of the city. No electricity – no running water – we did have a telephone though. My mother passed away when I was 18 months old. I had 3 older sisters – Mabel (Midget), Thelma (Bonnie) and Ruth (Rufus). Ruth was 7 years older than me and basically raised me along with the neighbour ladies – who were very kind. My oldest sister passed away when I was about 6. I don’t remember too much about her. Bonnie was working and so left Ruth to look after me (I was spoiled).

Living on the edge of the city there was lots of open spaces and I loved to wander. One day a man found me about two miles from home. He didn’t recognize me but he recognized my dog Spot (a wired haired terrier) and so took me home. Spot was my constant companion. When I started school he came with me (school was about 1 mile away) and then he would go home until recess then he would come back and all the kids would play with him – also at lunch time and afternoon recess, when the weather permitted. Then every day Spot was there to go home with me. One day he didn’t show up. I couldn’t figure out why. When I got home he was lying dead on the front lawn. I was heartbroken.

I had a cat as well – Tommy. A beautiful silver grey. He would climb up on my knee when I was getting ready for bed and purr and purr and lick my face. I also had rabbits and pigeons – lots of pets. We had chickens, too – and when I would go through the chicken yard to go to the toilet (outdoors) the old rooster would come and fight with me. I would kick him and send him flying and he would come right back for more. Lots of fun, hey!

When I was twelve, we moved to a farm 60 miles away from Edmonton, with my dad, Bonnie, Art her husband, and two small children. Ruth was married by then and stayed in Edmonton. It was living in the country. Lots of room, hunting and fishing. When I was on the farm I got the saddle horse to go get the work horses – bareback. Just a rope on neck – saddle horses weren’t wild. He headed for a fence. Only way to stop – arms round the neck and swing down in front!

My first day at school I was very nervous and shy. There were 8 grades in one classroom, about 23 kids in all. I was in grade 8. It didn’t take long though and I and the other kids got together and had fun. Only one teacher, a lady. I can’t remember her name. She was nice. There were 2 other grade 8 students besides me. I passed into grade 9 and the second world war broke out that fall. I passed grade 9 and that was the end of my schooling. I would have had to stay in a town twelve miles away and my Dad couldn’t afford to send me.

Bonnie and Art decided they didn’t like farming and so moved back to Edmonton. Left my Dad and I. I became chief cook and bottle washer. Could I ever make a good beef barley soup. The two neighbour boys loved it and came to our place every time I made it to have a bowl and play cards. I was 14 now.

When I was 16 I decided to move back to Edmonton and get a job. I lived with Ruth and her husband. I got a job training as an aeroplane mechanic. I sure liked that. Then when I was 17 ½ I decided to join the army and was in the navy for 2 years when the war ended. I loved the ocean — waves as far as you could see. The bigger the waves got the better I liked it. Once we almost hit a big BIG iceberg. Exciting! [On the phone that night, Grandpa told Sam that he was on watch when they passed alongside the iceberg and you could have reached out and struck a match on it].

So back to Edmonton. I trained to be a printer (an obsolete job now). That was a good trade. When I was 20 I got married (END OF STORY). After 15 years, my wife and I split up and were divorced. A few years later I married your Gramma. 46 years ago (NICE). And now I’m old and very tired. I had a good life though I’m sure happy I got to know Jehovah.

Love,

Grampa Ashe

***
Grandpa Ashe passed away today, September 27, 2010. We will all miss him.

Sam used his gift money to frame the first photo in this summer visit series. It sits up on his captain’s bed headboard.

No comments: